Western Medical Acupuncture is an adaptation of Traditional Chinese Acupuncture, however it's delivered from dual trained health professionals such as doctors, nurses or allied health professionals like physiotherapists, using knowledge from evidence based medicine alongside the theories of traditional acupuncture.
I trained with the BMAS (British Medical Acupuncture Society) in 2011 and I have a background of 10 years experience in the NHS after qualifying from the University of East Anglia in 2007 with an MBBS and then gaining MRCPCH further post graduate qualification from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, so I am able to give a balanced honest perspective on how the holistic treatment could help you taking into account the evidence base available.
Medical acupuncture also differs from traditional Chinese acupuncture as it focuses on the management of a condition and its troubling symptoms rather than the diagnosing the condition. It is used for people who already know their diagnosis so the acupuncture sessions can then focus on the treatment of their symptoms.
Here's what you can expect from a session of medical acupuncture:
* Western Medical Acupuncture does not try to diagnose you using traditional Chinese medicine methods and as you already have a diagnosis, we will be able to use the evidence base available and the time we have wisely, to see how to best treat your symptoms with acupuncture.
* All BMAS acupuncturists are regulated healthcare professionals, who have also undertaken additional training in Western medical acupuncture.
* On your first session, we will have a chat about your health, past medical history and current symptoms. I will usually be able to give you an idea of how many sessions may be needed and an overview of the evidence base behind treating your symptoms. The first session usually lasts about an hour with the history taking, sometimes an examination of trigger and tender points if you are experiencing myofascial pain (pain around the muscles) and the acupuncture treatment.
* For all further sessions, we will have a shorter catch up with how you have been and then move onto the acupuncture more quickly. These sessions will be 45 minutes.
* You will move onto having acupuncture for the rest of the session in comfortable, relaxing surroundings.
* You may feel tired or very relaxed after the treatment so it may be worth having someone available to take you home.
* We can arrange another appointment at the end, or you can book in your own time when you feel you need it.
* Payment is either in cash or card with a secure iZettle card machine. There is a 10% discount available on all treatments for NHS, Emergency Service or Armed Forces Employees. Please bring your work ID with you if you wish to claim the discount.
* In Western Medical Acupuncture we only treat you with acupuncture and will not try to sell you any traditional Chinese Medicines.
Find out more about the British Medical Acupuncture Society and Western Medical Acupuncture here